Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Popakum

"Mom! Popakum!!" It is the middle of the night. We are in Ethiopia and it is our first night with AJ. He is sleeping on the bottom bunk right next to our double bed. "Popakum!" It is the first thing he has said to me, clearly needing something. But what? Is he scared? Does his stomach hurt? Thirsty? Has to go to the bathroom? Thankfully the mystery is quickly solved: "Toilet please!" Ok then. Popakum means he needs to use the bathroom. Good to know! Is that Wolaita, his tribal language? Amharic, Ethiopia's national language?

Now here in the States I struggle to recall the word, that first request he made of me. "What's that word you used to say - that meant that you needed to go to the bathroom? It sounded like popa-something," I prod. He shrugs - can't remember. Rats. I make a mental note to ask Kirsten if her girls say this same word so I can write it down. So yesterday AJ is talking about English lessons he had in Addis Ababa. "They teach 'toilet please,' but that is too hard," he says. So they tell us to just say "poop a comin." WHAT!! That was English you were trying to say?? POOP-A-COMIN?? Oh I laughed!!

5 comments:

  1. Nope, my girls don't say anything like that. Kidist said something like "deun" at first. Now they just say "toilet!" or "Kaka!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh out loud!!! I can't wait until this blog is a book... This post will be a favorite page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! That's halarious. Nothin like gettin stright to the point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S Love the new pic of All of you. They all look great, but that one is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive