Total Pageviews

Monday, May 10, 2010

Today he asked "Why?"


"Why did I switch?" Families. He is asking why he switched families. What the hell is the answer to that question? He had been telling me how he and his mom walked to the orphanage in Soddo. "What did she say to you as you walked?" I ask. "Don't say anything bad about the food," he replies. "Anything else?" GOOD GRIEF!! ANYTHING ELSE? I LOVE YOU?? ANYTHING?...I am screaming in my head. "No, nothing else." Not that he remembers, anyway. "Why?" he wants to know. So I mumble a trite answer - something about I'm sure she wanted what's best for you. AJ then starts telling other stories of times before, times in the orphanages. He picks up playmobile people and acts out his memories. Some of the details are...very difficult to hear. But this is therapy. I am the therapist. I remain calm. I encourage and ask questions. I put him in front of the tv show 'WordWorld' and shut myself in the laundry room before I start to cry...

2 comments:

  1. Glad you didn't tell me that story on the phone. I would have cried... I simply cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crying with you,Jen.....I have wondered so many times how I will answer this question for Cass....

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive