Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

the hair saga

OK so the twists that I put in in April pretty much came out overnight. I retwisted them the next day and they looked pretty good for church. It was quite obvious, though, that they were not going to stay in very well, so I took them out. By last week, AJ had such long hair that he had a rather decent bedhead when we woke up each morning! I once again told him we either needed to twist it or cut it. He wanted twists. This time I stopped by Blanco's school of cosmetology. Someone had tipped me off that there was a black gal there learning to do hair. So we got to meet Lana! She was GREAT. Lana gushed over AJ and assured me his hair was long enough to twist. We made an appointment for the next day. It took Lana 45 minutes to twist AJs hair. She used only bees wax to do it. It looked really cool and AJ really liked it! The picture shows the twists from the top of his head.

Lana said the twists would stay in for a week. We weren't supposed to wash it or rinse it at all. He needed to wear a doo-rag or sleep cap at night. After a week I could wash his hair and then retwist it. That was the plan anyway. Well, his doo-rag wouldn't stay on his head all night, of course. The twists started to fray a bit after the first night. I tried to retwist them and thought I did a pretty good job. But fraying continued and by the fourth day he wasn't liking how it looked. In addition, he doesn't really want to grow his hair out (like I do!) Growing the hair out is a big committment, so I think we'll wait til he's on board. We have lots of time! I trimmed his hair yesterday, so we are back to basic (and easy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive